Thursday, January 29, 2009

Why

Hello, my name is Dylan Thorington, welcome to my blog. I have decided to start blogging out of pure curiosity. So I figured I would talk about what's been on my mind lately. The thing that has been on my mind the most lately is like most people my age, college. During Christmas Break, all I wanted was for college to start back up. New challenges, chance to meet new people (even if it is NMC), change and a change from my mundane routines during break. I don't think I'm the only one my age who feels this way but I have been a lot more nervous about the future of my life then I have ever been. Nervous that one bad grade could be the difference between fulfilling my goals or living out the rest of my life reminiscing on the "glory days" of high school. Nervous, that I will never figure out what my life dreams even are. But that topic is meant for another day. Right now I wanna talk about our new president. Before this election started I would be a liar if I told you that I was a patriot, or that if I even felt pride of being an American. Then I heard about a female senator out of New York and African-American Senator from Illinois and thought, wow, this could be interesting. It was then that I started following politics, and it was after the primaries that I felt pride for the first time of being an American. To think that it was not until 1920 that women were even allowed to vote and that only 54 years ago African-Americans had to use seperate schools, until Brown VS. Board of Education. WOW, just 54 years, in 54 years we as a society went from not allowing African-Americans in the same schools as whites to having an African-American president. Whether Republican, Democrat, Libertarion, Constitutionalist or whatever I think everyone should agree that January 20th was one of our countries finest moments. However great this is, I know that there is still much progress to be made as a society, I recall a conversation I had with a friend my Senior year and he said "I don't know, a black or female president in the same year. I just don't think I'm ready for that". Right then I realized how much blindness and stupidity there still is in society. Just cause it's on the topic, I came across a really inspiring video on youtube. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56mjwycKuXA You may have already seen this.

After Obama won the election in November it raised questions in my head, got me wondering, what's next? You know? Like what's going to be the next major step to another level of social tolerance? It can't stop at Obama becoming president, what's next? I think the next step should be accepting gay/homosexualality. Progress has certainly been made, but certainly not enough. I know that people inerpret marriage and have religious beliefs, but I ask, is love n0t universal? Does love see gender? Race? I am not gay in the least bit, I don't believe that interpretations of the Bible or whatever religion should decide whether someone should be allowed to show their love by marriage or not. To say a woman can not marry another woman, or a man can not marry another man is the same thing as the old anti-miscegenation laws that banned whites from marrying people of another race. And, I'm not writing this to try sounding all self-righteous, it is how I truly feel.



1 comment:

  1. Yo D, nice blog bro. Very insightful. Don't worry about figuring out your lifes dream, let it come. I have been out of college for almost 2 years now and I still am searching for direction. You're an insightful cat (snap, snap). Now get some sleep!

    ReplyDelete